Taxable municipal bonds are municipal bonds with interest that is not excluded from the gross income of its owners for federal income tax purposes. Some taxable municipal bonds are issued for purposes that may not qualify for tax exemption, including construction of sports stadiums, funding pension liabilities, and investor-led housing projects.
Why Buy a Taxable Municipal Bond?
- Historically offers one of the highest degrees of credit safety*
- Liquid any business day at the market price
- Provides fixed income with attractive yields
- Diversification: The large number of issuers gives investors the ability to diversify their portfolio by purchasing bonds issued all over the country
- May be suitable for retirement/tax-deferred accounts and for investors in low tax brackets
*Bonds subject to market fluctuation